Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux toWindows?

TLUG,

Thank you to everyone for all the advice.

After looking around on the net, it seems to me that maybe I was making a wrong choice with Samba.

While at first it seemed easy, I've found that in practice that it's not the case. And I came across the following howto for NFS, so I thought I'd give that a go:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

So these are the steps I took:

1. installed the necessary software:
$ sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-kernel-server

2. Edited /etc/exports.
In this first attempt at setting up networking, I wanted my girlfriend to be able to read from a directory on my machine called /home/fileserver.
She has a static IP of 192.168.0.3. So, I put this in the
So I put this in /etc/exports:
/home/fileserver 192.168.0.3(rw,sync)

3. Exported the shares, whatever that means:
$ sudo exportfs -ra
exportfs: /etc/exports [2]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "192.168.0.3:/home/fileserver".
Assuming default behaviour ('subtree_check').
NOTE: this default will change with nfs-utils version 1.1.0

Hmm... that response doesn't really say there's an error, but it's not really friendly looking either. I'm hoping it means that it will work.

4. On my girlfriend's laptop, I install the client software:
sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-common

5. I then attempt to make a connection:
$sudo mount 192.168.0.2:/home/fileserver /home/meg/daves_machine

When I ran this last command, it didn't return to a command prompt, and it didn't seem to enable a connection.

At first I thought the mount command would create a directory in /home/meg called daves_computer when executed. But it didn't seem to. So then I tried making the directory myself and then running the same mount command. But that didn't change anything. It just doesn't seem to do anything.

Where did I go wrong? Step 3? I'm sure I have the IP addresses right, as I've double checked them against the network settings in the System menu.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn