Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux toWindows?

Dave M G writes:

 > 4. On my girlfriend's laptop, I install the client software:
 > sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-common

As Godwin pointed out, you need to make sure the software is actually
running on both machines.  NFS has a long history of security issues;
it's possible (though not likely) that Ubuntu would defer to those
issues and demand that you start the services yourself.  Use ps (or
perhaps top for a realtime view).

 > 5. I then attempt to make a connection:
 > $sudo mount 192.168.0.2:/home/fileserver /home/meg/daves_machine
 >
 > When I ran this last command, it didn't return to a command prompt,

This is bad, it should only take a couple of seconds to determine that
NFS server is or is not running.  How long did you wait?

 > At first I thought the mount  command would create a directory in
 > /home/meg called daves_computer when executed.

No, mount doesn't create directories.  It attaches a filesystem to an
existing directory.