Re: [tlug] KDDI cellphones and encoding

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Scott Robbins wrote:

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 12:58:32AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> Well, Pine will do some automatic conversions to help you out. Though as
> a long-time Pine user, I'm not really sure I'd suggest going down that
> road at this point....

I think he wants to stick with mutt (and who could blame him?) <ducks>.

As a long-time user of Pine, and elm before that, not me! :-)

Seriously, would pine convert it even if the locale is not present on
his system?

Yes. Pine can be set to basically ignore locales, and just use Iconv to convert ISO-2022-JP and Shift_JIS to EUC-JP for display, and convert back to ISO-2022-JP for what it sends. It's not an optimal solution, but at least it works for a lot of cases.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs@??>        +81 90 7737 2974