Re: [tlug] linux hardware

Hi Forrest,

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 12:38 +0900, Forrest Nelson wrote:
>Are there any other hardware considerations? I will only connect to the
>internet and not other file networks so maybe I don't need a router?

If you are going to use your laptop as the gateway, then you'll probably
need a PCMCIA 100BT LAN card and a small 5 port switching hub in
addition to your cables. The connection would be from your ISPs router
or ISDN box or whatever they give you to your laptop, then that would do
the IP forwarding for your internal network. The laptops 2nd LAN
interface(that PCMCIA card) would connect to the switching hub, and also
all your internal machines would connect to that hub as well. You then
could set up DHCP on the Linux box for your internal network and IP hide
NAT to get them on the Internet.

I use shorewall firewall at home for ease of firewall admin, and it's
really simple to set up this kind of hide NAT using shorewall as well.
Also I think that fedora comes with a basic firewall that can
automagically configure IP forwarding.

Ganbatte kudasai,

Scott VanDusen