Re: [tlug] linux hardware

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 12:38:19PM +0900, Forrest Nelson wrote:

> I am new to linux and I want to set up Linux to serve the internet to my new
> gateway laptop running xp, and serve my web page and email. For now, I just
> want to concentrate on what hardware I need. Here is a list of what I have and
> what I think I need. Could someone help me confirm that this list is complete?
>
> List of what I have
> 1. new gateway laptop running XP
> 2. old laptop running fedora 5, 1ghz cpu, 1gig of ram, 40 gigs of HD
> 3. my own ip address
> 4. 3 lan cables
>
> List of what I don't have but what I think I need
> 5. a router  (any suggestions?)
> 6. a simple lan box with 1 main and 3 other client
> connections (not sure if I need this or not)

In the US, at least, most routers will now have a few ports, to serve as
a switch (which is what I think you mean when you say LAN box.)

Either the Linux box or the XP box could probably serve as your gateway
to the Internet, but something like a 4 port Linksys router would make
it easier.  Not knowing the typical setup in Japan, I'm assuming that
you have a cable or DSL type connection, that is, something that
connects to the Internet with an ethernet card.

With the Linksys type router (there are other makes, but Linksys is
probably the most popular,) you would connect the cable or DSL modem to
the Linksys.  Then, you would connect the various computers to the
Linksys.

Usually, even the lower end Linksys routers have 4 ports, as I said, so
you don't need another switch.

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.  By LAN box, do you
mean something to connect the computers to each other.  That would be a
switch or a hub--these days, the prices are almost the same, so you're
better off with a switch.

So, it would be something like

     Internet

cable (or DSL) modem

     router
   / 	   \
   |	    |
computer    computer

Then, to run a web server on the Linux box, you would forward port 80 on
the router to the Linux machine's IP address.

This is probably the easiest way to do it.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here, but I'm
 freaked out, and I intend to stay that way.