Re: [tlug] [OT] Creating user-friendly URLS with mod_rewrite/Apache

Josh,

Thank you for replying.
No, since you have mod_so.c, your Apache is module-enabled. All you
need to do is install the apache-devel package so you have the source
tree, then do something like:
http://www.arachna.com/edu/talks/expanding/slides/mod_rewrite_setup.html

Those instructions kind of flew over my head, so I tried looking for instructions specific to Ubuntu.

I found instructions that said I should:

dave@example.com:~$ sudo a2enmod rewrite
This module is already enabled!

Hmm... then apparently, if it's there, the rewrite.load file should be in the following directory:

dave@example.com:/etc/apache2/mods-enabled$ ls
cgi.load  php5.conf  php5.load  rewrite.load

Then there's a needed edit to the httpd.conf file:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
</IfModule>
<Directory /var/www/>
AllowOverride all
Order allow,deny
allow from all
# This directive allows us to have apache2's default start page
# in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right place
# Commented out for Ubuntu
#RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/
</Directory>

And if so, then if I restart Apache, then mod_rewrite should be working.

dave@example.com:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
* Forcing reload of apache 2.0 web server...  [ ok ]

So far as I can tell, it isn't working (same results as reported earlier in this thread). But I don't know if that's because I have .htaccess set up wrong, or still have Apache not configured properly.

--
Dave M G