Re: [tlug] [OT] Creating user-friendly URLS with mod_rewrite/Apache

Romans,

Thank you for your help.

make sure you have
 Options +AllowOverride
for the directory where .htaccess is.
Am I correct that the "Options +AllowOverride" option goes into my httpd.conf file?

My current httpd.conf file has only this, which makes me unconfident that it's the right file:

# This is here for backwards compatability reasons and to support
#  installing 3rd party modules directly via apxs2, rather than
#  through the /etc/apache2/mods-{available,enabled} mechanism.
#
#LoadModule mod_placeholder /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_placeholder.so
ServerName localhost

The apache.org file is a little hard to grasp when it comes to determining the right syntax to use here.

Is there a global way I can say to always obey the directives of a local .htaccess file if it present in a directory?

Or do I have to specify to allow override for each and every instance where I want to use an .htaccess file?

Also, I looked up more information about .htaccess files on the Apache web site, and it said:

"However, in general, use of .htaccess files should be avoided when possible. Any configuration that you would consider putting in a .htaccess file, can just as effectively be made in a <Directory> section in your main server configuration file."

Hmm... well, I do have access to my Apache configuration files on both my home environment and my hosting service.

Although, I think for portability reasons I should probably stick to using an .htaccess file.

What do you guys think is better?

--
Dave M G