Re: [tlug] Upgrading the kernel...?

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:07:55 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Botond> make-kpkg will only work with kernel/module source
>     Botond> packages from the distribution.
>
> That's simply not true, I have six or so years of experience to the
> contrary.
Building a vanilla kernel.org kernel with make-kpkg should work[1]. What I
meant was building externally distributed kernel modules like lm-sensors,
sysprof-module, ivtv, etc.
`make-kpkg modules_image` depends on
 * the module source being under /usr/src/modules
 * a debian directory with the appropriate files in it which is rarely
   bundled with upstream sources.
Without these I doubt that you can build a debian package of a module
with make-kpkg.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

> There are basically two hurdles to get over or around to use
> non-distro sources:
>
> 1.  You need to put external modules in the right place (ie, as
>     siblings of the linux directory).  The only thing I ever did this
>     with was pcmcia, so I can't give much advice on that.
That's pretty weird. Properly written modules compile without the full
kernel source tree, all they need is the headers.

[1] Note that upstream (=Linus and friends) can change the build system
    any time so that make-kpkg will break, thus I tend to use make-kpkg
    with the debian kernels sources only.