Re: [tlug] Upgrading the kernel...?

Godwin, Scott, Stephen,

Thank you for the explanations.

Thanks Stephen for clarifying what the kernel numbers mean. It gives me perspective on what I'm getting into. You may regret it though, as it's giving me confidence to go ahead, which means I'll be posting here (from a net cafe) when it all explodes.

Scott - no, it does not seem to be the case that I can install a new kernel with apt-get. Or at least I could find no such option by browsing in Synaptic or on the web.

I think what might have confused you is that I said others had spoken about it "as if" it was no big deal. What I meant was that the posters I was referring to were probably experts for whom the task of upgrading a kernel from the command line is no big challenge.

But thanks for clarifying exactly how I back up my old kernels in case I need to boot with them again.

Godwin - Thank you for explaining where to find the options that are referenced in the post.

What are the netfilter issues that I need to watch out for? How will I know if I'm handling them correctly?

And lastly, since no one commented on it, am I to assume that the nvidia drivers will need to be installed after I reboot and X crashes? In other words, reboot to the new kernel, get a command prompt, use apt-get to install nvidia-glx, and then reboot again? It's not so bad doing it that way. It just seems rather inelegant.

--
Dave M G