[tlug] Upgrading the kernel...?

TLUG,

With an eye to solving my Palm Pilot woes, I posted on gnome-pilot-list, and got this response:

- - - -
You are not alone.  See the following bug report (quite lengthy)
for gnome-pilot on Ubuntu Dapper:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gnome-pilot/+bug/38574

It seems that the current kernel and/or udev packages being shipped
with Dapper are at fault.  Most people who have upgraded to a 2.6.17
kernel have found that resolved their problems.
- - - -

So... the only way out is to upgrade to 2.6.17, maybe?

I know Godwin and others have been telling me I should recompile my kernel, but this scares the heck out of me.

First, isn't 2.6.17 waaayyyy over on the bleeding edge? I've seen talk of 2.6.16, but this is the first time I've heard of 2.6.17.

Second, people in the bug report talk about upgrading Ubuntu Dapper to 2.6.17 like it's no big deal. But I don't get it... aren't a whole bunch of drivers and stuff going to crap out on me? I mean, there's a fundamental I don't understand about this. I thought Ubuntu Dapper and a 2.6.15 kernel were bound together. Is it still "Dapper" if I change my kernel?

Third, aren't I probably going to simply be changing headaches? This is the real reason I've resisted when other people before have suggested compiling a new kernel. I feel like I'll get my Palm to work but my Wacom won't (for example). It was kind of like this before when I went from Fedora to CentOS to Ubuntu. Each one did some things better than the other, but some things worse.

I'm confused about the best way forward here. If someone can maybe clarify my questions above, that would be great.

--
Dave M G