Re: [tlug] Modprobe error

    Josh> On 22/07/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

    >> Stephen [sed:]

    >>> If you're at the bleeding edge (and you seem to be, since your
    >>> "toys" occasionally "magically" start working with an
    >>> upgrade), the highest probability approach is to use a
    >>> source-based system[.]

    >> What you describe there is pretty much what I've been doing,
    >> isn't it?

    Josh> Nope. Stephen is specifically suggesting a source-based
    Josh> distribution (of which Gentoo is currently the most
    Josh> prominent).

Correct.

    Josh> Ubuntu is a binary-based distribution, and as
    Josh> such, tends to trail the bleeding edge a bit more.

True, but not necessarily relevant, if Dave's even a little bit
patient.  The issue I'm pointing out is that in a binary distribution,
slight amounts of API and and ABI version skew accumulate over time as
the distro updates its binary packages at different times.

If you stick with binaries, even if you make exceptions for a couple
of applications, there's nothing you can do about this, *and it
**never** gets fixed, the problem just moves to a different package*.
If you build from source you can rebuild the world and make sure
*everything* is on the same page.  You also get more control over the
dreaded build chain bugs.