Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

Dave M G <martin@example.com> writes:
> Okay, so I hit the ol' web trail and look for solutions to figure out
> what the password is, or how to reset it. In the former case I came up
> with nothing. But in the latter, I got this command:
> dave@example.com:~$ sudo lppasswd -a
> Enter password:
> Enter password again:
>
> But that didn't work, at least not with "root", "admin", or "dave" as
> the username.
>
> Another web page said I should comment out "AuthType Basic" and
> "AuthClass System " from cupsd.conf.  There was no "AuthClass System",
> but there were two instances of "AuthType Basic" which I commented out.
> Still nothing.
>
> So here I am. What do I do to get or reset the correct login information
> for administrating CUPS?

I had the same problem as you. I did not have any success with "Basic"
authentication, but "Digest" authentication worked.

What I did was replacing "AuthType Basic" in your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
by "AuthType Digest", and then generating a password as you did:

sudo lppasswd -a evan

Also, if you have chosen "AuthClass System", be sure to be a member of
the system group, which is defined by a line like "SystemGroup lpadmin"
in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

The end of my cupsd.conf looks like this:

---
<Location /admin>
AuthType Digest
AuthClass System