Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

> If I click the green "Start Printer" button, I get a window asking me
> for my administrative username and password.
>
> And this is where I hit a wall. It won't accept any username and
> password combination I can think of...

I'm not in front of my machine right now but I can look at the files. I'm
also guessing here a bit, since it's been a while since I spent any time
fighting with CUPS (and, for me as well, fighting was the operative word).

It seems CUPS has several options. My install is fairly close to the
default and it says, among other things:

  <Location /admin>
  #
  # You definitely will want to limit access to the administration functions.
  # The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who
  # is a member of the system group to do any admin tasks.  You can change
  # the group name using the SystemGroup directive.
  #

  AuthType Basic
  AuthClass System

  </Location>

The 'Basic' seems to refer to the HTTP auth method that CUPS will use to
accept the username/password. The 'System' says this:

  # AuthClass: the authorization class; currently only "Anonymous", "User",
  # "System" (valid user belonging to group SystemGroup), and "Group"
  # (valid user belonging to the specified group) are supported.

So, for my install, in order to do admin-like stuff in CUPS it seems the
user trying to login would have to be a member of the group designated as
the SystemGroup, for which I have:

  # SystemGroup: the group name for "System" (printer administration)
  # access.  The default varies depending on the operating system, but
  # will be "sys", "system", or "root" (checked for in that order.)

  SystemGroup lp

So maybe you can either add yourself to the 'lp' line in /etc/group (or
whatever your SystemGroup says in cups.conf) or you can change SystemGroup
to whatever group your user ID happens to belong (ie: 'users' or something
like that).

You might look in the various log files under /var/log/cups (at least
that's where Gentoo hides them) to see if you can get anything more
detailed as to why it won't let you in.

--
Joe Larabell -- Synopsys VCS Support      US: larabell@example.com
http://wwwin.synopsys.com/~larabell/   Japan: larabell@???