Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

On 4/24/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> > think my only real option is to wait until Dapper goes out of beta and
> > into an official release on June 1st.
>
> You also have the option of rolling back to the previous version
> of Ubuntu with which the bastard proprietary driver worked.
>
> Perhaps qemu or UML could help. Run most stuff in new version,
> Run print stuff in old version of Ubuntu.

Yes, I would go for that too. Do you think that it would be enough to
install the Breezy versions of the cupsys-related packages? It might
be a mess if other packages depend on the new version, but it is worth
a try.

I am not an experienced debian/ubuntu user, but this is how I would go:

1) edit /etc/apt/sources.list as root and duplicate all 'dapper'
entries, and replace 'dapper' by 'breezy' for the duplicates

2) run

sudo apt-get update

3) find out what versions you need for each package:

apt-cache policy cupsys cupsys-client cupsys-driver-gimpprint
cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data

(there may be other packages)

it should return the versions for both dapper and breezy packages

4) revert to the breezy version

sudo apt-get install cupsys=1.1.23-10ubuntu4 cupsys-client=1.1.23-10ubuntu4

etc. for all the print-related packages

5) apt-get is likely to yell at you, in which case you would have to
revert all concerned packages to breezy version. If it is only a small
number of packages, it should be ok.

Evan