Re: [tlug] Linux compatible motherboards

Joe wrote:

 If it's really
easy, and they cost just a little more, I'll probably buy from them.

Lyle wrote:

Keep us posted on how that goes, because I'm still going to be in the market for new equipment even if (when?) I get that old custom box of mine straighted out.

Joe:
Okay.  I'm planning on telling you how this purchase goes.
Sorry about the last post, which did not have my reply in it. I was about to send a copy of it to myself at another email address, when I accidentally hit the "send" button before I had taken the TLUG email address out of the recipient list.

Lyle:

I have family using Linux on an old NEC

[snip]

I've become a little nervous about making any major changes to that.

Joe:
Yes. I had trouble when I made changes to SuSE 9.3 once, and recently had trouble when making changes to the unofficial Japanese version of Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy). The Japanese version is nice because many things--not only Japanese input but things like Adobe Reader--are all set up for you right after installation, but when I updated it, it started having all kinds of problems.

Joe:

Some day I'd like to be able to have some understanding of
the individual parts of the machine and be able to replace or add parts
as needed.

Lyle:

Now this is a very strong argument in favor of a custom box!

Joe:
Now I really don't know what to do! I think I'm going to go somewhere and jell out for awhile. Ha! Ha!
Joe