Re: [tlug] Linux compatible motherboards

Jim wrote:

Some motherboards have good documentation about their Linux compatibility. Many (most?) motherboards do not have direct documentation for Linux compatibility. If the motherboard maker does not have good dox on Linux compatibility, then I look at the chips used. There generally is better documentation about Linux support for chips than there is for whole motherboards. When you were shopping, I would have been copying down chip numbers also. Unfortunately, the heatsinks on some important support chips can hide numbers. You might want to bring a magnifying glass along when shopping.
I see. That explains yesterday. I didn't get any clear sense that, "Yes, this motherboard is compatible" looking at the information I found through Google. I haven't gone shopping yet, but checking that each and every component of the system is Linux-compatible is starting to sound very time-consuming. I'm willing to spend some time doing that before buying--maybe 20 hours, but not 100 hours. Ordering a box with Linux pre-installed from the States is beginning to sound like an attractive option. Waiting a few weeks for it to arrive would not be a problem.

You'd think that you could get a Linux pre-installed box in Japan, maybe even with an English keyboard. You can, I know, from TurboLinux, but I tried out their most recent software, a demo version of it, and didn't like it very much. It seemed kind of slow and clunky. On the same machine I installed Ubuntu, and it was a lot nicer. I'm liking gnome more and more too (probably largely because of the familiarity coming from the Mac world, but it also seems more efficient than to me than KDE). The only thing I need right away is a screen, so another option would be to buy the screen now, use it on a computer I'm borrowing, and buy the rest of the computer later, after I find all the Linux-compatible parts.

I appreciate all the help I'm getting, but I'm wondering if I have the skills necessary to shop the way most TLUG people shop.
Joe