Re: [tlug] Linux compatible motherboards

Joseph Essertier wrote:

I appreciate all the help I'm getting, but I'm wondering if I have the skills necessary to shop the way most TLUG people shop.

This has been part of the drive for my nearly always buying used computers. With machines that have been out there for two or three years, there are usually drivers for their parts, and with the very low prices of used computers, it's not catastrophic to make a mistake and have to buy another used box. Both of the last two used computers I bought were under Y10,000 (one just barely), and the old (new, but old) motherboard, CPU, memory set I bought cost about Y15,000 with the additional 512MB board I bought. As things are looking now, that money will be completely wasted and next time I'll just lay down a large pile of cash for good equipment.

So - yes, I think you should buy a new computer, but this also reminds me of another advantage to used computers. Granted, except for one of those, I don't need them to be game-capable, so just about anything on the market from P-III on works fine for the applications I use.

Lyle