Re: [tlug] Reiserfs: Love Gone Bad (was LVM groks JFS and XFS)

Jim wrote:
Alain Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:

... a recent bad bout with reiserfs has turned me off to reiserfs.

That's prudent. There is a vague hazy pall around reiserfs about data loss. How were you jilted? Data loss?
I formatted a USB HDD using ReiserFS and no matter what I tried it just would not mount at all. fsck said it was okay. I was able to even run the ReiserFS tests against it but it just refused to mount period. I can't remember what the root cause was but since we needed the drive to perform some backups, a non-mountable drive was rather useless. I ended up trying ext3 and xfs on the HDD just to make sure the HDD was not defective and those worked just fine. I tried ReiserFS once more and it still refused. I ended making the HDD xfs and never looked back at ReiserFS. Perhaps there are plenty of people who have ReiserFS working happy for them but 'It's Not Working For Me'.

I tried to drink the kool-aid but the bottle wouldn't open! Maybe I'll try again in a couple of years after 2.6 becomes stable :)

Cheers,
Alain