Re: [tlug] Kubuntu 6.06 Seems Good So Far

On Wednesday, April 05, 2006, at 08:01PM, Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:

>Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
>> One thing I'm in the middle of trying to figure out is the difference
>> between:
>>
>> 1) Erase entire disk: IDE1 master (hda)
>>
>>  - and:
>>
>> 2) Erase entire disk and use LVM: IDE1 master (had)....
>>
>> Or more specifically whether the LVM choice would be better.  If it's
>> better across the board, then why is there the choice of having it or
>> not having it?  I'll poke around on the Internet fome more, so no need
>> to answer that question really.

The question really comes down to how much new stuff do you want to learn?  Once you drink the LVM Kool-Aid you need to drink it hard since your filesystems are sitting on top of it.  My suggestion is keep a LVM HOWTO in hard copy next to your machine in case something blows up.

>I don't know about Kubuntu LVM support but LVM2 is great.  I use it on
>every system I have installed.  It allows you to break your hard drive
>into reasonable partitions without having to worry about about physical
>hardware, and most importantly it allows you to resize partitions.  The
>only catch is that if you run a system that doesn't support LVM2 you
>won't be able to access the LVM2 partitions.

I just ran into that problem when trying to boot an older Knoppix disk I had lying around to try to recover a LVM2-enabled machine.   It kept insisting it was UNIONFS and did not seem to have a LVM2 module available at all.

Luckily, the Gentoo Install CD has the LVM2 modules so you can use the Gentoo install CD to troubleshoot any LVM-enabled disk.

But once you get the hang of using LVM2 it isn't THAT bad.   My suggestion is
stick with ext2 or ext3 filesystems if you want the true dynamic capabilities you can
get with LVM.   JFS and XFS as far as I know don't seem to support LVM.

Alain