Re: [tlug] Securing X-Window Protocol

    Ian> On 15/02/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

    >> Ssh can handle securely transport the X protocol.

    Ian> Works fine for what it is, but it's a tunnel rather than part
    Ian> of the X protocol, which is kind of cheating...

I don't understand what is "cheating" about that.

The X protocol was carefully designed for this.  It turns out that
it's easy to botch that.  The Coda file system, for one, did botch its
transport protocol.  It does not work very well over IPsec because of
packet fragmentation issues.

    Ian> On 15/02/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

    >> As far as the X server is concerned, port-forwarded clients are
    >> just ordinary clients calling on (usually) port 6000.

    >> It's really that simple, so I'd be very surprised at anything
    >> that didn't work.

    Ian> <pedant> Network sound server </pendant>

    Ian> Seriously, though, if a program expects X *and something else
    Ian> as well* to be available on the machine, ssh can confuse the
    Ian> issue...

Your programs are always expecting something else to be available
... GNOME user, I guess?  What do they do if you just don't have the
hardware, kill your login process?  ;-)

Yes, I suppose ssh confuses the issue if you think of sound as part of
your networked workstation.  Put

    RemoteForward 8010:localhost:8000

in .ssh/config and you can forget that too.  It won't quite work, for
example if there's already an active X forward on that host, you'd
need 8011, if I understand the NAS convention for use of DISPLAY
correctly.

I bet getting it right would be an easy hack on OpenSSH.