Re: [tlug] Tip 'o the Day: quick searches in Mozilla / Firefox

On 09/02/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 21:20:38 +0900, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>
> > But your algorithm is order N, and mine is constant order. So I win in
> > the average case, and win big in the pathological case, when there are
> > a *lot* of search plugins,
>
> True. I think "pathological" certainly does apply to someone with 18 search
> plugins. Think: Valium :o)

Oh har har. :)

> More seriously, though, how many of those 18 search plugins do you use on a
> regular basis? If, like me, the answer is "1", then make that plugin the
> default plugin and you've saved yourself a keystroke for the majority of
> your searches.

Tragically, for me, the answer is 18. Otherwise they would have
already been gone. However, I do use Google roughly half of the time I
want to fire off a quick search.

> As for the "worst case scenario", you can always use Alt-Down, End, Up, and
> you've saved yourself another 15 or so keystrokes.

A-ha! More key accelerators that I did not know about (and that does
not often happen)! OK, you have eliminated the pathological case, but
I can present a new worst case: the first or last plugin is selected,
but I need the one in the middle! :)

My algorithm pwns yours, Godwin! Be man enough to admit it! ;)

-Josh