Re: [tlug] Tip 'o the Day: quick searches in Mozilla / Firefox

On 09/02/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

> How about:
>
> Step 1: Hit Ctrl-K
> Step 2: Type in your search criterion/ria
> Step 3: Hit 'Enter'

I am glad to hear about Ctrl-K, but it only saves one keystroke. You
have presented a three step best case, but allow me to illustrate the
worst case.

I have 18 search plugins. (Really.) Let's say that the
packages.gentoo.org plugin is the last one that I used. It just so
happens to be last in the dropdown box of search plugins, and Google
is the first (speaking of which, anyone know how to control the
order?). If I want to search Google, even with your optimisation, I
have to:

1. Ctrl-K
2. Type in my search criteria
3. Ctrl-Up
4. Ctrl-Up
19. Ctrl-Up
20. Enter

That is a lot more keystrokes than simply:

1. Ctrl-L
2. g
3. Space
4. Type in my search criteria
5. Enter

So in the best case, when the search plugin I want is currently
selected in the Quick Search dropdown, your method beats mine, three
steps to five.

But your algorithm is order N, and mine is constant order. So I win in
the average case, and win big in the pathological case, when there are
a *lot* of search plugins, I want to use the first or last, and my
selection is at the opposite end of the list.

My new method does not do away with the utility of search plugins,
however; I still *love* them in conjunction with Conquery[1]! I did
however remove the Quick Search dropdown from my Location toolbar.

Cheers,
Josh

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=231&application=firefox