Re: [tlug] slightly off-topic: what hard drive for a laptop

On 2/7/06, Uva Coder <uva.coder@example.com> wrote:
> >From my experience, there isn't too much difference in quality between
> the makers. Figuring the odds, there is always a chance of getting a
> bad hard drive out of a batch. But having said that, I have had a good
> run with my current batch of Hitachi hard drives.

I've also had good luck with my IBM and Hitachi drives... so far!  Not
so with a Seagate drive I bought though!  Have a look at the
construction of it:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/PDF/PDF_History/PH_01/SeagateHDD.html

It suddenly died with no warning.  While it may be true that that can
happen with any hard drive, the other drives I've broken open were
built better - specifically in the way the circuit board electronics
are connected to the drive.

Lyle