Re: [tlug] slightly off-topic: what hard drive for a laptop

On 2/7/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
> As far as HDDs are concerned, Hitachi == IBM anyway. IBM sold their storage
> activity to Hitachi about 3 or 4 years ago IIRC.
I bought some IBM hard drives, and then the Hitachi-labeled ones and
then... what would you call them... the second generation of drives
since the Hitachi name change?  The first Hitachi drives were from the
same country (Thailand I think - and probably the same factory) that
the IBM ones were, but the last Hitachi drive I bought was made in
China and it sounds completely different than the other ones as well
as looks physically different, so I wonder if there is any connection
to the old IBM line any longer of if they are simply buying from an
OEM manufacturer in China....  (All of those are for desktop machines
BTW.)

Lyle