Re: [tlug] CJK Mixed in a Letter. Missing bdf font: hanglm24.bdf

    David> GNU Emacs is similar, as far as I can see, but I DO see a
    David> number of problems because emacs with the unicode add on
    David> (mule-ucs) has some problems when mixing big5 Chinese
    David> read-in files and unicode Japanese read-in files. If I read
    David> a big5 text into my buffer, and then search for a kanji, I
    David> do not find it, even though its staring me in the
    David> face. Thats because (I think), all my input methods are
    David> based on Japanese and to emacs those big5 Chinese glyphs
    David> are different.

Your analysis is correct.  This is a long-standing design bug in Mule,
and one of the primary applications of Han unification.  (The primary
reason is the code space limitation, of course.)

    David> But alas, it utter chokes when it cannot get a kanji. In my
    David> case its the "setsu" kanji of "setsumei", which in the big5
    David> form has the right hand "rabit ears" over the kuchi point
    David> the opposite way from modern Japanese.

    David> Emacs complains that "bdf file hanglm24.bdf does not exist"
    David> and gives up the printing. This is a Korean font, which is
    David> weird, since there is no Korean here.

The only thing I can suggest offhand is to use M-x search-forward
rather than isearch (which is unlikely to be terribly pleased with
switching IMs on the fly, although it may work OK in GNU Emacs, pretty
unlikely in XEmacs).  Then use C-u C-\ (or C-m C-x C-\) to change to a
Chinese input method in the minibuffer.

With some work, it should be possible to create a function that reads
kanji on the fly and converts them to a character class (ie, []
regexp) that contains all Mule equivalents of the corresponding
Unicode character (ie, given a JIS character, it converts JIS ->
Unicode -> [JIS Big5? CNS? GB? KSC?] where the ? indicates that the
slot is filled only if the Unicode codepoint has an equivalent in that
character set.

It's a good idea anyway.  Give me until next week and I'll take a look
at it.  If you get something on your own, please let me know!