Re: [tlug] Gentoo on Zaurus

--Sig_mO2HMSYjNCFSbbx9IzpPYN+

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:42:13 +0900
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> On 27/01/06, Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I was hoping to cross compile everything, but a lot of packages have te=
sts in their
> > configure scripts that try to execute the file even when cross compilin=
g which obviously
> > won't work.

> Which certainly seems like a bug to me. Please submit bug entries for
> all packages that you encounter that are b0rken in this way (attached
> fixed ebuilds would be even better!), and I will make sure that all of
> the fixes find their way into CVS.

This is not necessarily a bug. Though autoconf's AC_TRY_RUN macro has an
option for cross-compilation, there are other cases which cannot be
solved with this.
For example the one I encountered when creating an ipkg for anthy was
that a binary is compiled (from C) and executed to generate a data file.
In the case of cross compilation, this cross compiled generator will
obviously fail to run on the host system. The OpenEmbedded system has
solutions for this, namely native builds.

cheers,
--=20
boti