Re: [tlug] Make Web Mail Server that Follows Polysaturated Threads

On 18/01/06, Roger Markus <rogermarku@example.com> wrote:

> On 1/18/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
>
> > As Stephen wrote on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:02:19 +0900,
> >
> > > 2822.  "The only RFC you'll ever need."
>
>  What does RFC mean?  I checked an acronym dictionary and came up with 55
>
>  RFC:
>
>  Request For Comment

The first one is correct.

I hate to be snide, but if you do not even know what an RFC is, and
furthermore, could not even take the time to Google "rfc 2822"[1]
(which returns approximately one bazillion pages, the first 20 or so
to the exact document in question), you have absolutely no right to
criticise Jim's posting habits.

Ian and I are two guys who would prefer that Jim *not* change the
subject lines so aggressively, but we--who obviously grok most of the
major email-related RFCs--agree that he is not using the system
incorrectly.

The best solution to the problem, as Jim has pointed out, would be for
us to get Google to implement the thread-view algorithm in Gmail.

On that subject, looky what I found:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22gmail+thread+display+patch%22&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial

Tragically, it doesn't seem to do what we want. Seems to be just a display fix.

Can anybody find any information on Google's stated position on this?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Gmail hackers just
hadn't had time to implement the thread-detection algorithm correctly,
but that was some time ago, and of course I cannot find hide nor hair
of that now.

-Josh

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=%22rfc+2822%22&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial