Re: [tlug] USB devices behaving randomly

    Dave> Can you instruct me on how, exactly, I use lspci to
    Dave> determine if I have a VIA chipset?

You can also use dmesg | less to find out what the kernel chattered
about, and possibly see error messages or warnings that I'm not sure
lspci would give you.  Modern chipsets invariably do a proper
self-introduction ("My name is Via Rhine 2832, of USB OHCI K.K.  My
hobbies are ignoring commands and blowing capacitors.  Yorosiku onegai
shimasu.") at boot time.

Eg, from my machine's dmesg (lots of stuff cut):

OEM ID: INTEL    Product ID: MS440GX      APIC at: 0xFEE00000
CPU: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) stepping 03
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
0000:00:0f.0: 3Com PCI 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0x1040. Vers LK1.1.19
hda: IBM-DTTA-371440, ATA DISK drive
hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1202, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 32X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
input: PS2++ Logitech Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
agpgart: Detected an Intel 440GX Chipset.

As you can see, there's plenty of chatter about all this stuff, and
I'm sure you can easily recognize all the vendors.  I don't have USB
on this machine, but I'm pretty sure if I did it would show up here,
too.