[tlug] USB devices behaving randomly

TLUG,

        I have been using Ubuntu for a number of months now. It has
taken me some time to recognize the patterns well enough to say this
with certainty, because the problems involve a number of devices
behaving randomly.

        Recently I have been reporting on the Ubuntu list some problems
with a sound device. In the past I spoke about problems with my Wacom
tablet. Both are connected by USB.

        I also have an SD card reader connected by USB. It has also had
problems, but I hadn't reported on them. Sometimes when inserting a card
in, it does not come up on my desktop. However, usually I resolved this
with attempts to reinsert the card, reinstert the device, or reboot the
machine. It never struck me as that odd until I realized how random my
other USB devices were behaving.

        I also have an SD card reader connected by USB. It has also had
problems, but I hadn't reported on them. Sometimes when inserting a card
in, it does not come up on my desktop. However, usually I resolved this
with attempts to reinsert the card, reinstert the device, or reboot the
machine. It never struck me as that odd until I realized how random my
other USB devices were behaving.

        I also have a USB scanner, and a USB printer. Printers are
notoriously fickle anyway, so I did not think much about it. Also, these
devices are not continuously connected as my Wacom tablet and sound
device are, thus making any pattern hard to detect.

        Without going into too many lengthy descriptions of my detective
work, I am reasonably certain at this point that the fact that all these
devices are USB has significance.

        As I right this, my Wacom tablet it working properly. At a rough
estimate, it works one out of every 5 boot ups. My SD card reader works
the majority of the time, say 2 out of every 3 times. My sound card was
working perfectly for months, and now is not. Although, oddly, yesterday
it was providing system even sounds, though not music or video sound.
The printer and scanner aren't connected often enough to make any
sensible estimations of their reliability.

        All USB devices are connected through an independently powered
USB hub, with the exception of the USB sound device, which is connected
directly to the computer.

        I can verify that the hardware is all in perfect working order,
because I can boot into Windows where the exact same set up has
absolutely no flaws. This has to be a Linux settings issue.

        Is there a way I can probe Ubuntu's USB settings for problems?
Can this be resolved?

        Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G