Re: [tlug] Re: Vi, Emacs, etc...

On 30/12/05, bruno raoult <bruno@example.com> wrote:

> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > You must be a *csh user ....
>
> Hum. Don't understand this: (1) ed/sed don't depend on your shell, and
> (2) tcsh -my login shell (not scripting!)- emulates pretty well basic
> emacs commands...
> What did you mean exactly (maybe I misunderstood)?

Steve meant that if you use bash or zsh, you probably know some Emacs
commands, like:

C-a to jump to the start of a line
C-e to jump to the end
C-r for reverse (history) search
C-s for forward (history) search

etc.

In fact, all programs that use GNU readline for input handling (e.g.
the Perl debugger, gdb, bash, zsh, many IRC clients, etc.) are
controlled with standard Emacs commands, unless you specifically put
readline in vi command mode.

Cheers,
Josh