Re: [tlug] Some advices for Zaurus

As mentioned in a previous post, I just purchased a Zaurus SL-C3000. In
other posts, I asked people for their PIM favorites.

While I am still trying things out, and while I am still really interested
in giving Emacs planner-mode a spin (though I must admit that I still find
Emacs frustrating... too many keys to press... vi just seems so much more
direct), I just installed KDE Personal Information Manager
Platform-Independent on the Zaurus and on a separate USB memory stick.

On the Zaurus, it looks and works wonderfully. The only glitch I have
found so far is that when I press Next Days, it starts running through
days one by one instead of showing me the next three days of events. I
have to shut down the program. However, I am sure this can be remedied. I
just installed it last night. Basically, the downloadable packages even
create a PIM tab for the Z so that it is easy to find and start the PIM.
There is even a plugin that wakes the Z up when an appointment or alarm is
triggered, and it gives off a customizable sound alarm. This means the
functionality is at least equal to if not greater than the built-in PIM.

The memory stick is even wilder. Just unzip to a memory stick and go. You
have the Organizer (calendar, todo, and journal in ical format) and the
Address Book (vcard format) in two three executable forms -- WinMe-9x,
Win2K-XP, and Linux. I tried it out, and it works wonderfully on both my
WinXP notebook and my Fedora Core 4 (though it is optimized for Suse)
workstation.

The next step is to try to synch the PCs (using the memory stick) with the
Zaurus. The KDE-PIM/Pi has its own synchronize functionality, so it
supposedly can just synch the two if the program is running on both. We'll
see.

As a PC PIM, this is great. It handles Japanese beautifully, looks good,
and has many interesting little advantages. One thing that really
surprised me what that you can select a series of days in the month
calendar at the top to get only those days in detail at the bottom. So it
is more than a week versus day view. You can have a 2-day or 3-day or
12-day view if you like. Also, the date-specific journal function is
really neat. The KOrganizer beats the pants off Mozilla Sunbird, which I
have been using.