Re: [tlug] Heading to Akihabara

On 11/28/05, Alain Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> >Not a bad idea, but we would have to resolve any and all copyright
> >issues before doing that. Perhaps a better idea would be making a
> >custom Google Maps page for TLUG, where we could add markers,
> >directions, photos, etc. to help other TLUGgers find interesting stuff
> >in the area.
>
>     That sounds more like the implementation I was thinking would be
> best.  Abuse errr leverage Google Maps to make a decent set of maps without having to
> find out how to get all the data.  It'd also be kind of neat to build an interface to
> let TLUGers quietly vote on haunts that they like via the web.  Perhaps something like a
> community mapping project kind of like how Frappr! works (http://www.frappr.com/)

As noted in another mail, this is not an abuse of Google Maps at all.
This is simply using the API that Google has exposed exactly for this
sort of thing.

The code that powers my "Gaijin's Guide to Central Yokohama" is
available, under the BSD licence, here:

http://www.jmglov.net/src/gmaps_jmglov-gg2cy-1.0.0.tgz

All we would need it some way of allowing TLUGgers to submit new
marker data for inclusion in the database, and a way of voting on
markers (and collecting and displaying the popularity data). I would
be more than happy to implement that stuff in my code.

Another neat feature that I was planning of implementing is allowing a
marker to have photos associated with it, so camera-crazed TLUGgers
(Lyle, I'm talking about you! ;) can link their photos to the map.

> >Here is an example of what I mean:
> >
> >http://www.jmglov.net/japan/yokohama/map.html
> >

>     That is a very cool setup by the way.  But you need more game shops
> listed ;-)

Give me lat/long coordinates and I'll add them to my XML file. :)

Which sort of gaming did you mean? Pen-and-paper RPGs / collectable
card games / tabletop wargames? Or video games?

Cheers,
Josh