Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

Uva Coder <uva.coder@example.com> wrote:

> I would go so far as to advocate UTF-8 for the OS as well.

Many newer versions of Linux are already there. For example,
in the Fedora Core series, I think the change from parochial
to Unicode was made between FC1 and FC2.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode#Operating_systems

In many ways, Linux does not care what character set or coding
is used. The character coding for names in the filesystem is
the biggest that directly affects me. Many other things are
mere application issues.

By the way, by design, UTF-8 plays very well with UNIX/Linux
standard I/O utilities, like grep, without changing those
utilities.

Since UTF-8 was invented by Ken Thompson, this was by design,
not mere coincidence.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#Rationale_behind_UTF-8.27s_mechanics
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#Advantages_and_disadvantages
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#History