Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

On 金, 2005-11-25 at 13:29 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> >    Lyle> I'm no master of the Japanese language, but to my ears, the
> >    Lyle> way some old men say it I would say the ending is "ja" and
> >    Lyle> not "jai".  I've heard the "jai" ending too, but much more
> >    Lyle> often the "ja" ending.
> >
> >You see it occasionally even in writing, in the form "no de wa".  They're
> >all the same grammatically AFAIK.  I don't know what it means, though.
> >
> >I think Stuart's point may be that the "no jai" form is even more hougen
> >than "no ja", and thus would be funnier?
> >
> >It's like, you know, totally!
> >
> Uh- oh... not again!  I have a really bad habit of making jokes that are
> out of context and simultaneously taking other jokes seriously... in
> short, I'm a completely hopeless case.  Thanks for pointing out the
> humor that whizzed over my head!

Sorry about that. Sticking in that little piece of slang was really
gratuitous.

Anyway, my wife uses なのじゃい when she's being jocular. It's usually
accompanied by some exaggerated intonation.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago (^_^)/ CCSR