Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

   Lyle> I'm no master of the Japanese language, but to my ears, the
   Lyle> way some old men say it I would say the ending is "ja" and
   Lyle> not "jai".  I've heard the "jai" ending too, but much more
   Lyle> often the "ja" ending.

You see it occasionally even in writing, in the form "no de wa".  They're
all the same grammatically AFAIK.  I don't know what it means, though.

I think Stuart's point may be that the "no jai" form is even more hougen
than "no ja", and thus would be funnier?

It's like, you know, totally!

Uh- oh... not again! I have a really bad habit of making jokes that are out of context and simultaneously taking other jokes seriously... in short, I'm a completely hopeless case. Thanks for pointing out the humor that whizzed over my head!

Lyle