Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

Brett Robson wrote:

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
  Brett> and I don't have the time to ask each of our customers what
  Brett> flavour they prefer. However I do know that they can read
  Brett> 2022-JP mail.

Oh, you meant that's what _works for you_.  That's a very different
statement from "[UTF-8] breaches RFCs, you are supposed to be using
ISO-2022-JP".  Just say "this works for me"---that's enough for this
old standards bigot, and it's gonna be enough for Lyle, too, I bet.

Not /me/, but works for the 100's of thousands of people that receive our Japanese email.
Right.  Whether it's convenient or not I care not, I just need to know
how to get Japanese text through the system to the people I want to send
it to - and some of that is indeed to keitai's, so I need to use
whatever works and it would appear that UTF-8 - while desirable -
doesn't work across the board.
    I know it's the other way around actually - that the machines not
properly dealing with it are at fault, but that's all completely out of
my control - all I can do is to try to send it a form that the
receiver's machine will correctly display.....

Lyle