Re: [tlug] Japanese regex question

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:25:39 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Ian> Can you explain how Perl's doing it wrong?  Works for me
>     Ian> (tm)...
>
> I should start by saying that I know Python got this wrong, and that
> (from the description so far) it sounds like Perl did, too.

I had the impression while coding in perl that it was handling text in
unicode. And it seems to be the case according to the FAQ at
http://rf.net/~james/perli18n.html#Q4

# This means that in 5.005_50 or later:
#
#    * strings are stored as UTF-8 (and flagged as UTF-8)
#    * length() returns character length, not byte length