Re: [tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 07:37:16PM +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Scott,
>
>     I think it would be a shame to take this off-list, although I will of
> course do so if the list moderators or members in general say we definitely
> should. But surely it would be good to have this here so that in case someone
> else comes here looking for this info, you could just point them to this thread
> in the archives. I know I'd like to know it was in the archives in case I need
> to come back and retrace my steps.

True.  None of the old timers have complained, and they are all
experienced enough to set their emails to ignore threads.

>     Anyway, thank you for helping me walk through this. And if you need any
> help with updating your web page about this to make it more visually friendly
> and newbie- accessible, I would love to help. I'm both an XHTML/CSS/Graphics
> wiz and a complete Linux newbie.

Alright then, you're an excellent guinea pig.  :)

>     To address your points directly -
>     My objectives and Japanese level:
>     I'm good enough with reading and writing Japanese that I could easily take
> on a Japanese OS environment. And I do at work. But at home I want my OS and
> it's menus and interface to be in English, where I feel nice and comfortable. I
> need the ability to input Japanese and switch back and forth at will.
> Essentially, and I hope I won't raise any issues by making this comparison, I'm
> looking for the same level of functionality that I had with the Global IME in
> Windows. The ability to turn on and off Japanese input at will in a variety of
> applications that support the feature, regardless of whether or not the
> application is itself Japanese.

This goal does seem reasonable.  :)   Having gone on a binge of testing
since Stephen's push, I'm finding that in Arch and FreeBSD, (and
according to the friend who gave me the links I posted earlier) Deb and
its derivatives, quite possible.

>     CentOS should be, as I'm sure you know better than me, equivelant to Red
> Hat Enterprise or Fedora, and I'm working within KDE, as I believed I
> mentioned. I'm led to believe that this set up can, in theory, do what I am
> looking for, so hopefully I'm not just thinking wishfully.

No, it should be--I remember throwing an older Fedora on a box
somewhere, though and finding my old methods needed revamping. It was
one of those projects that went on the back burner.

>     The current set up:
>     I think by now I have installed just about every type of Japanese input
> available to Linux, and a multitude of supporting services, variables, and
> options. When I first installed CentOS, I opted for Japanese support, although
> that never really meant anything. So I have this GUI for switching between
> languages and it seems to have advanced settings for choosing options. But I've
> noticed that whenever you ask a Linux guru anything about anything, they tell
> you how to do it at the command prompt. So here goes:
> [root@example.com dave]# udatedb
> bash: udatedb: command not found
> [root@example.com dave]# /usr/bin/updatedb
> [root@example.com dave]# which scim
> /usr/bin/which: no scim in
> (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/home/dave/bin)
> [root@example.com dave]# locate anthy | more
> [root@example.com dave]# locate scim-anthy.  | more
> [root@example.com dave]# locale -a | grep ja_JP
> ja_JP
> ja_JP.eucjp
> ja_JP.ujis
> ja_JP.utf8
>
> I hope that this sheds some light on what's going on with my current system. I
> look forward to any advice that may come of this information.

Heh, did I make that first mistype or did you?  If me, sorry.  :)

Ok, at least we know what to put in the script, (whether it should be
eucjp, EUC_JP, EUC-JP, etc.)

The other commands indicate that you don't have scim, anthy and
scim-anthy.

Anyone following this able to tell me what RH and its clones use these
days?  I think I'm going to have to download and throw something on a
box for this.

As I'm finding the scim/anthy combo quite flexible, I'm tempted to steer
you towards them.   However, in the interim (I'm getting ready to go to
work at present)

which cannaserver kinput2

As you commented, there are a variety of different ways, and as I said,
Yes, everyone does use a different method.   :)  There are a few others,
FreeWnn (which I've never used) and the like.

Also, to make it simple (this isn't the geek way, but you're frustrated
enough) do

ntsysv

A screen comes up showing what services run at startup.

(I'm trying to find out what kanji server is being used, whether it's
canna, FreeWnn or something else).

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Cool. You guys can do the brain thing. I'm gonna go to
class.
Oz: Which could also be construed as the brain thing.