OT: Chicago Style (was: [tlug] Can Japanese join Nomikai ?)

On 木, 2004-10-14 at 10:03 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Ah, a Chicago Man. of Style!  Oldie but goodie.  :-)

Nice ambiguity! Intentional? Although I read the Chicago Manual of
Style, I like to think of myself as a ``male person of style from
Chicago.''

Speaking of the Chicago Manual (now, this is getting a little OT), do
you know that the Chicago Manual says that the use of ``none of <plural
noun>'' with the plural copula or verb is correct?!? They say the use of
a singular copula or verb in that context is ``correct but stilted.''
Harumph! None of my friends or correspondents has ever called me
stilted. I can't even use stilts.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR