Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

> I use a couple of Dell OptiPlex computers, and one of them - about 40%
> of the time - when booting up displays an error message saying it didn't
> detect a keyboard.  Hitting the button below the power button that
> clears out the memory and reboots the computer (what is that button
> called?) results in an error-free reboot, so it's not a big issue *if*
> it doesn't get worse.  Has anyone had a similar problem or know anything
> about this?

Guess this is a little after the fact since you decided it was the KVM
switch but yes I have a Optiplex GX110 that occasionally refused to detect
the usb keyboard.  My machine dual boots so I only saw it when I wanted to
change systems which wasn't frequent.

  The keyboard was always recognized eventually but I was not able to
change from the default system as specified in my grub.conf or whatever
file it is within the time limit allowed.  No I don't have a KVM or any
other type of switch/ multiple monitors.  I was just assuming it was a bug
in the usb side of things because like you say hitting the reset button
took care of it.

I saw this persist over a couple of different keyboards -- both usb though.

PS.  (no I don't believe it ever had the floppy issue -- but hey while
we're on the subject I did have one of those faulty toshibas floppies
which resulted in that big settlement that I Stupidly not knowing about
computers used my coupons from to upgrade from win95 as the repeatedly
unsuccesful creating of and installing from floppies was a total and
immense waste of time).  Wish I had known than what I do now.

--
Shawn

Karma is immutable, so act accordingly!