Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

Shawn wrote:

>> I use a couple of Dell OptiPlex computers, and one of them - about
>> 40%  of the time - when booting up displays an error message saying
>> it didn't  detect a keyboard.  Hitting the button below the power
>> button that  clears out the memory and reboots the computer (what is
>> that button  called?) results in an error-free reboot, so it's not a
>> big issue *if*  it doesn't get worse.  Has anyone had a similar
>> problem or know anything  about this?
>

> Guess this is a little after the fact since you decided it was the
> KVM  switch but yes I have a Optiplex GX110 that occasionally refused
> to detect  the usb keyboard.  My machine dual boots so I only saw it
> when I wanted to  change systems which wasn't frequent.

No, it's still current actually.  I came to a half-conclusion that the
KVM switch was causing the error, but since an older OptiPlex GX1
running off of the same KVM switch has *never* exhibited that error,
there still seemed to be something about the OptiPlex GX110, even if it
was being triggered by the KVM switch.

That it only was triggered when you wanted to switch systems is
interesting... the two machines that have exhibited that error are also
both dual booters, but I haven't noticed a connection between the error
coming up when changing systems or when booted from a cold standstill.

>  The keyboard was always recognized eventually but I was not able to
> change from the default system as specified in my grub.conf or
> whatever  file it is within the time limit allowed.  No I don't have a
> KVM or any  other type of switch/ multiple monitors.  I was just
> assuming it was a bug  in the usb side of things because like you say
> hitting the reset button  took care of it.

My keyboard is an old model (two years in actual use, probably
manufactured more like eight years ago) standard plug model, so it would
seem that it's not related to USB.  My keyboard, to be specific, has
this on the back label:

Sejin Electric, Inc.
Model SKR-1033
Funai Electric Co., Ltd.

As I mentioned in another e-mail, it's great for typing both English and
Japanese, as it doesn't have the bottom row cluttered up with useless
keys that get in the way and prevent smooth touch-typing.  What's with
the two names displayed side by side though... I guess Funai bought it
from Sejin?  Incidentally, when it comes time to get another keyboard,
does anyone know if this type (101-keyboard maybe?) is still available -
without those horrible extra keys for MicroMuck that seem to be on all
new English (and Japanese) keyboards?

> I saw this persist over a couple of different keyboards -- both usb
> though.

Thank you especially for this information!  Now I feel less inclined to
go to the trouble of swapping keyboards, which would likely produce
exactly the same result.

> PS.  (no I don't believe it ever had the floppy issue -- but hey
> while  we're on the subject I did have one of those faulty toshibas
> floppies  which resulted in that big settlement that I Stupidly not
> knowing about  computers used my coupons from to upgrade from win95 as
> the repeatedly  unsuccesful creating of and installing from floppies
> was a total and  immense waste of time).  Wish I had known than what I
> do now.

I have a set of four DynaBook 486FV laptops, and only one of them has a
properly functioning floppy drive.  Another one can read, but not write
on a floppy, another one works sporadically, and one is completely dead
(the floppy drive that is).  I probably should do my part to help fill
up the land-fills with those suckers, but the last one with a
functioning floppy drive is still good as a word processor, and all of
them can transfer files easily enough with flash memory, so I hate to
throw away equipment that still is functional, even when it's highly
redundant....

Incidentally, the other OptiPlex that has (very rarely) exhibited the
same error message is a GX100, and it has also (also very rarely)
exhibited an error message about not detecting the CD-ROM - this along
with the floppy issue on other GX110's at the used shop, and now your
experience, does lead me to conclude that there's something odd with
that model computer, but since the reset button (very handy for this
issue!) takes care of it every time, I guess it's not an indication of
damage to the computer, but rather a quirk with that model's motherboard.

Thank you very much for the information!  I'll  stop worrying about the
KVM switch and just go about using the machines then.  The only
remaining worry is the fact that the GX110 has eaten two 256MB memory
boards, which I'd like to think is a freak accident of chance (the
memory boards were from the same manufacturer - Apacer 256MB UNB PC133
CL3, P/N: 71.84350.555 to be precise), but seems like possibly something
else.

Thanks again!

Lyle