[tlug] Hardware Issue

I use a couple of Dell OptiPlex computers, and one of them - about 40%
of the time - when booting up displays an error message saying it didn't
detect a keyboard.  Hitting the button below the power button that
clears out the memory and reboots the computer (what is that button
called?) results in an error-free reboot, so it's not a big issue *if*
it doesn't get worse.  Has anyone had a similar problem or know anything
about this?  So long as it's not something pointing towards total
failure of that computer, it's easy enough to live with, but not knowing
what it is, every time I get that error message it worries me.  The BIOS
is catching that by the way, once past the BIOS start up on an
error-free boot up, everything is working okay.

Except.... that same machine had a memory board failure, so I got the
memory board replaced, and again I lost one of the two 256MB boards.
I've been running it on one 256MB since then.  Am I working with a
damaged mother board on that machine?