Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

Joe Larabell wrote:

>For what it's worth, I've had trouble with two different KVM switches on
>boot-up. The one I use at home, if I recall right, is an "ATEN" and when I
>used it with an RH8 system it apparently reported something different on
>boot depending whether the switch was "looking at" that computer or not.
>If the switch was switched to some other computer while the RH machine was
>booting, kudzu would fire up and decide there was no keyboard attached.
>The only way to convince it there really was a keyboard attached was to
>reboot and leave the switch pointing to that machine until after the H/W
>detect had run.

I'm using a "Nakagawa" KVM switch, and the way it works is like this:

With none of the four computers running, the first one booted is
automatically selected.

For a second machine, I hit the power switch and then immediate hit a
Ctrl key twice to get it to switch over.  Once past the BIOS (and OS
selection on a couple of dual-booters), I wait a few seconds and then go
back to working on a machine already up and running.  When I get back to
the newly booted machine, it's running properly.

This KVM is good in that it remembers different monitor settings.

Another KVM switch I'm using is an old Corega that works well enough
except for a few irritating features:

It always defaults to the #1 computer, irrespective of which computer is
first booted.

Hitting the Ctrl key won't switch computers - you have to hit the button
on the KVM switch itself.

It doesn't remember different monitor settings, so if one computer
requires different settings from another, when you switch back to a
previously well adjusted computer, the settings are mucked up.  The
result of this is that one seldom-used computer has the screen
off-center all the time now.

One more Corega I'm using is only for two machines, but - and now I
remember something I'd forgotten - it works flawlessly with a pair of
Dell Dimension C's (very bad design - if you see a used Dimension-C in a
used shop, run in the other direction as fast as your legs will carry
you), which the Nakagawa did not.  what would happen with the Nakagawa
is that I would be working on something on one of the Dimension C's and
the mouse would start to malfunction.  I thought it was the mouse, but
after changing mice, the problem persisted until I put those two on a
different KVM switch.

Ah... well... now it's starting to look like the KVM switch is the
culprit.  Come to think of it - when the problem OptiPlex was over on
the old Corega KVM switch (with different memory, OS, hard drive,
keyboard, mouse and monitor), it never exhibited the keyboard error......

>At work I have a corega KVMU. If I boot my ThinkPad while working on the
>Lunix machine, the laptop will come up in a very brain-dead graphics mode
>(like 640x480 / 8 color).

The old 4x Corega I have - in spite of its other faults, seems to be
able to allow the bank of computers it's hooked up to to boot up without
having to be selected.  I'm not sure about the Nakagawa - since I have
to enter a BIOS password to get the computers it's hooked up to booted
anyway, I've never tried it.  They do boot up fine once past the first
15 seconds or so.

>Or try attaching a keyboard directly to the "flaky" machine for a while
>and see if the problem goes away.

I tried that - but then the KVM switch completely ignores that computer!

Well the encouraging thing is that hitting that second button that old
Dell's have has - so far - resulted in 100% success on the second try.
If I start having to do that multiple times, then I'll switch over to
emergency mode!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Lyle