Re: [tlug] [C&C alert] Really, you should let sleeping dogs lie ...

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 01:52:31AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Lyle> I think that SJT has his mail set to filter me out,
>
> Wrong in fact and in principle.  I filter addresses, not people.  It's
> a reasonably good heuristic for adding enough delay to calm things
> down, at least in the *nix world where most people seem to eventually
> use a number of addresses for various reasons.
>
>     Lyle> That said, I often find the postings of SJT to be extremely
>     Lyle> rude and offensive.  I dare say I'm not the only one.
>
> Given the standard set for courtesy in the rest of your post, I'm
> certainly glad to be declared innocent of it.

Y'know, it's funny to me--I'm relatively thin-skinned, which is why I
think Josh and Jonathan let me play moderator with them--I'm the
sensitive one.

I can understand why people get upset when they are the victims of what
they consider an unreasonable attack. However, if I see a battle between
Stephen and Boti I just think when lions fight, jackels hide.  :)

I didn't really follow the thread closely, but I think that both were
relatively restrained.  Additionally, it's always bad to step into a
disagreement--for instance, Josh and I twit each other on this list, and
someone who didn't know our history might take a side, which would amuse
us both.  Or, someone might have taken Stephen's public posting that he
was plonking my posts seriously, and take a side, wasting bandwidth, as
we've probably been doing on this thread.

That said, I think that Josh's response was a good one.  Newcomers are
welcomed here, they're expected to research to the best of their
abilities, and then post their question.   As Josh said, if you didn't
get an answer, it wasn't because it was a bad or low-level question it
was probably simply because no one who knew the answer had time to help.

Like Rena, you are hanging on and trying to learn.  That is a Good
Thing(TM).  You are, AFAICT, making an effort to phrase your questions
properly, but you still have to develop a thicker sink---err, skin, I'm
leaving that mistype in because it amuses me.

There may yet come a time when you post your stories of flames to newer
newcomers, telling them to suck it up and learn from it, just as I tell
my Jonathan story.  Hrrm, Burned by Byrne.  [1]

BTW, let me publicly thank Josh here for fixing this stupid cheap
halogen lamp while he visited us.  (Not to mention the doorknob.  If he
can't get work as a programmer, hire him as a handyman--might make more
money too.)  :)

[1] Sigh, that joke will probably get me into more killfiles.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Xander: Isn't that what they called The Slayer?
Willow: Buffy, ohh scary.
Xander: Someone has to talk to her people. That name is striking
fear in nobody's hearts.