Re: [tlug] Free versus open: a rant [was some thread about VoIP/GnomeMeeting]

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>    >> Tell me it ain't so.  The whole point of _GNU_NOME was to hold
>    >> the line against such backsliding by KDE and Qt!  Surely there
>    >> are alternative codecs?
>
>    Botond> Just because you couldn't come up with a
>    Botond> M-X-make-voip-call you should not start bashing gnome.
>
>Who bashed?  Somebody implied such a dependency, I asked a question
>which if answered positively would settle the issue, it was answered
>(after the post you're quoting, may I point out) in the negative.
>Read what you quote, for heaven's sake!

I think that SJT has his mail set to filter me out, so he probably won't
see this, but I just have to make a comment here.  I swore I would never
respond to any of his e-mail again and in fact  I let his last insult
aimed at me go by, but the situation as I see it now is this:

This group is composed of many network administrator types who post
heavily, and who knows how many idiot users such as myself who mainly
just read what the experts are saying.  My last post was completely
ignored here and - at this point - that doesn't bother me, because know
I understand that active participants to this list are basically
expected to be network administrator types and idiot questions such as
my one about not being able to get my NEC laptop on-line again after a
new install might as well be ignored for their idiocy.

That said, I often find the postings of SJT to be extremely rude and
offensive.  I dare say I'm not the only one.  What prompts me to write
now, is in support of Botond.  I strongly feel that he is entirely in
the right regarding civilized behavior.  SJT may be a man that people
fall at the feet of and eagerly licks his shoes, I don't know, but
however exalted and god-like he may be, I am quite sure he must be
human, and thus it would be nice if he could be a little less abrasive
in his writing.

Sorry to say anything at all, but it makes me angry to see him attack
Botond when he - SJT - is the uncivil one.  Technical genius and God-of
the universe SJT, I tip my hat to you, but with all due respect, you
really could try to be a little bit nicer to your fellow man!