Re: [tlug] 7/10 TLUG Technical Meeting - voice communicationquestions

    >> For GnomeMeeting you need a quicknet linejack (what about
    >> $299.95) in combination with a microtelco account (roughly $.03
    >> -035/min or so).  Correct?

    ben> The reason you need the quicknet card is because it has a
    ben> hardware implementation of the G.723.1 codec, which is
    ben> patented

Uh, excuse me?

GNOME software _depends_ on patented software?

Tell me it ain't so.  The whole point of _GNU_NOME was to hold the
line against such backsliding by KDE and Qt!  Surely there are
alternative codecs?

Free software, rest in peace.