Re: [tlug] 7/10 TLUG Technical Meeting - voice communication questions

>     >> For GnomeMeeting you need a quicknet linejack (what about
>     >> $299.95) i
>     ben> The reason you need the quicknet card is because it has a
>     ben> hardware implementation of the G.723.1 codec, which is
>     ben> patented

> GNOME software _depends_ on patented software?
>
> Tell me it ain't so.

Well not exactly what you want to hear but the price I quoted above was
wrong -- $159.95 is more accurate.

  >The whole point of _GNU_NOME was to hold the
> line against such backsliding by KDE and Qt!  Surely there are
> alternative codecs?

Also, I can't believe that hardware is _required_.  I could understand
needing to purchase software in order to obtain the codec if no others
exist. Well maybe that would reduce the echoing...

But according to the FAQ
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0&faqpage=x167.html

I think ben was right about needing the quicknet card for GnomeMeeting.

--
Shawn

Karma is immutable, so act accordingly!