Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux IMAP client

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:12:20AM -0500, Stuart Luppescu wrote:

>Well, I only have 39,259 messages in about 100 folders, but I've found
>that evolution 1.5.8 works pretty well (is that one of the usual
>suspects?).

It is.  Anything works well at 40,000 messages across 100 folders.  Try feeding
Evolution 100,000 messages in *one* folder, then come back and talk to me about
how well it works ;-)

> I've found the most variation in performance to be between
>servers, rather than between clients. We used to use wu-imap, which

I don't think ours is wu (I'd have to check, but I"m not in a position to change
it, anyway) but this is definitely a client-side issue.  There's something
about seein a 2.4 GHz P4 being pushed to 100% CPU and held there for long periods
of time by a mail client that's pretty impressive :-)

I'm not surprised that wu-imap is no good.  After all, they brought the world
wu-ftpd, too :-p

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9