[tlug] TLUG turns 10

By one definition[1][2], TLUG turns 10 this evening.  A few of us
early Linux users had been hanging out in the Unix conference
on PARTI conference system on TWICS, much to the annoyance of
the "real" Unix users.  On June 16, 1994, I started a Linux
conference where we could explore our toy systems without the
sneering.

Mercifully, I don't seem to have kept *my* messages[3][4], but
I have unearthed a few from other people.  For historical
purposes (and to embarrass :-) them, I'll add them to the
archives at <http://www.tlug.jp/ML/> in the next couple of
days.

Here are the oldest two messages I seem to have kept, both from
Craig Oda (who became our first president, and was a major
proponent of the "lunch and Linux" style that defined TLUG
meetings for the first few years):

-------------
"LINUX" by JWT, June 16, 1994 at 23:09 JST about
FREE UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM FOR PCS W/TCP/IP NETWORKING AND X WINDOW SYSTEM
(6 notes)

5 (of 6) CRAIG June 21, 1994 at 15:53 JST (235 characters)

JWT 3:
I am using getty_ps, the newer one.
I think that the gomi is the auto-baudrate determination.

This is a really good idea, the locking of the baud rate.  I will
lock it to 19200 to start and see if the gomi continues.

Thanks!!

6 (of 6) CRAIG June 21, 1994 at 16:10 JST (1476 characters)

JWT,
About the new programs, thanks.

Say, did you ever get a DNS working?

This is my current setting up:
MacPowerbook running an HTTPD server, with hostname "elsie" is connected
to Linux with PPP running over a serial line.

The Linux machine has the /etc/hosts file that controls the routing.
The Linux machine also accepts dialup PPP from Macs and Windows machines.
As far as I can tell, Macs and Windows do not have the ability to
have a "hosts" file.  From the Linux machine, called "cow" I can do:
	telnet: cow
or
	http://elsie

and it will work.

However, people dialing into cow have to use the numerica IP address, which
is rather hard to remember.  The average person dialing into cow uses the
following on a Mac:  Eurdora, Telnet, Fetch, and Mosaic.  They currently
have to use the IP address for everything.  Because cow and elsie
have different IP (only the fourth set of numbers) it is a hassle
to ftp to elsie and open another window for Mosaic or whatever.

I have tried to set up named, but am having problems.  Of course if
I connect to the Internet and use a US nameserver, everything works.
However, on a closed network, I have to get the DNS running or force
everyone to use numbers.

There may be some way to bypass this and force the machine that is
dialing in to use the /etc/hosts file on the Linux machine.  Any
ideas?  Getting the DNS up would be the best, but it is proving
to be difficult?

How do you do it on your network?

Linux is way cool.

[1]  The TLUG website's definition.  :-)  See the "About TLUG"
section of the home page.  <http://www.tlug.jp/>

[2]  Our first lunch and meeting wasn't until September
<http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/94sept.html>... so look for
the big celebration with all of the dignitaries flying
in then.  :-)

[3]  Those that experienced the tedium and expense of navigating
PARTI across a slow dialup connection may remember my offline
reader.  I've found backups of some of my downloaded packets,
but none of the uploads.

[4]  If anyone has additional backups of the PARTI traffic
from 1994 and early 1995, I'd be happy to add them to the
archives.

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/