Re: [tlug] libusb and plustek sane-backend (1.0.13)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:43:41 -0400, Josh Glover <tlug@example.com> wrote:

> > Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if it's deprecated.
>
> I share your opinions, for the most part. The only interest I have in
> ALSA is that if I can get it set up now, then I won't have to do it
> when Linux 3.0 finally removes all traces of OSS support! ;)

That's a good point...

With any luck, ALSA will be easier to set up by then - whenever "then" is.
It took approximately 7.5 years to get from 2.0.0 (6/8/96) to 2.6.0
(12/17/03) and we don't know how many more stable 2.x releases are planned
before the big jump. Or do we?

That's a jump I'd like to at least see if not participate in. I discovered
Linux too late to be able to witness the major version jump from 1.x to 2.0.

> > Tip: Audacity is a mean audio editing app.
>
> The point of all of this is

To show off my geeky toys and...

> that Audacity was great when I needed to
> record voice prompts for several test programs

> > > Glad that someone was able to help you, and make you look the fool at
> > > the same time! :-P
> >
> > I'm biding my time :)
>
> Sorry, that was a bit offside, wasn't it. :)

Well, not entirely. The cause of many problems on *nix systems is the idiot
sitting at the console who didn't set permissions correctly. I should have
looked at that and I'm surprised Scott didn't step up and rub my nose in it
too for good measure :)

> I share your views. In my case, it probably has something to do with
> growing up on a farm *and* having an aunt and uncle who are veterinarians.

There are no veterinarians in my family TTBOMK and I didn't grow up on a
farm either, and I don't think those conditions are prerequisites to being
able to see that there's something just plain *wrong* about abusing animals.
Most of the time they can't answer back (you'd think twice about kicking a
tiger in the ribs because a tiger *can* answer back) and they just deserve
better than that anyway.

> Hey, maybe we should start the TSPCA! ;)

At least it would have the merit of being a worldwide organisation. Of
course, we'd need plenty of people with CAPT to devote to the good cause
lest the whole thing should go "spare shaped"[1]

[1] - See definition of "CAPT"

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.5)